This cream puff dessert is just plain fun to make. Besides that, it’s even more fun to eat because it’s simply delicious and a showy dessert that isn’t hard to put together!
Cream cheese added to the pudding makes a soft but firm and meltingly delicious filling. Notice how each piece stands up nice and tall for a great presentation!
Here’s How To Make The Cream Puff Dessert Crust
Combine the water, salt, and butter and bring it to a boil. Cream puff batter is fascinating. It’s only got five ingredients! When you cook it, the flour, salt, water, and butter magically come together to form a ball of dough that doesn’t stick to the side of the pan.
Take the dough off the stove and let it cool about 5 minutes.
Next, use a wooden spoon to stir in four eggs, one at a time. The eggs are what make the dough do fancy tricks. If you bake it in individual blobs of batter plopped on a baking sheet, the puffs end up hollow inside. When you bake it in a pan, it creates undulating hills and valleys of tasty golden crust.
Pour the batter into a greased 9″ x 13″ pan and bake for about 30 minutes at 400 degrees. Let it cool until it’s no longer warm to the touch.
Just look at that beautiful crust!!
This is How To Make The Rich and Creamy Cream Puff Dessert Filling
You’ll want to have the cream cheese at room temperature. Warm the milk just a little in the microwave. Add about a cup of the warm milk to the cream cheese and beat until it’s nice and soft.
Next, add the puddings and the rest of the milk. Continue to beat the pudding mixture until everything is blended completely and all the flecks of cream cheese are mixed in. This will be a thick mixture.
Spoon the mixture onto the crust and spread to edges of the pan.Chill until the pudding is set.
Time To Add The Beautiful Final Touches To The Dessert
When pudding is set, smooth a whole tub of whipped topping over the top clear to the edges. Sprinkle on candy bits of your choice. Here I used brickle bits and semi sweet mini chocolate chips for the chocoholic birthday girl we were celebrating.
- 1/2 cup butter (one stick)
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- 1 8-ounce block cream cheese at room temperature
- 1 small box instant chocolate pudding
- 1 large box instant chocolate pudding
- 3 3/4 cup milk, warmed slightly
- 1 regular size tub of whipped topping, defrosted
- About 1/3 cup candy bits of choice, more if you want
- Combine water, salt, and butter in a saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Add flour all at once and stir until mixture forms a ball of dough.
- Set aside and let cool 5 minutes.
- Use a wooden spoon to beat in four eggs, one egg at a time.
- Spread mixture in greased 13" x 9" pan.
- Bake at 400 degrees for about 30 minutes, until golden brown.
- Cool crust.
- Warm milk slightly in the microwave.
- Add about 1 cup of warm milk to cream cheese in a mixing bowl and beat until cream cheese is quite soft.
- Add remaining milk and pudding mixes to cream cheese mixture and beat until all blended and no flecks of cream cheese remain.
- Spread pudding mixture over crust and chill until pudding is set.
- Spread a container of whipped topping over pudding.
- Garnish with candy bits and refrigerate until it is served.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 214Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 212mgCarbohydrates: 18gFiber: 0gSugar: 5gProtein: 6g
Today we’re making this a chocolate dessert for all those chocoholics out there but vanilla or butterscotch or pistachio pudding would also make this a killer dessert! Try Butterfinger bits on pistachio! Delish!!
Another idea is to add fruit like sliced strawberries or peaches to chilled and thickened vanilla pudding. Oh the possibilities!
I’m always super excited for some suggestions from you! Any new ideas to share?
If you enjoyed this recipe today, please share it on your social media accounts like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest. I’d sure be tickled and ever so grateful, thank you!
If you haven’t already, check out my Facebook page where I’ll be posting easy, delicious and family-friendly recipes every week.